The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) has set up the UCAS Scholarship for International Students to sponsor young talents all over the world to pursue Master’s or Doctoral degree, or attend courses, conduct research or pay academic visits at UCAS faculties/CAS institutes. The Scholarship also encourages international graduate students currently studying at foreign universities to come for study on joint programs.
The scholarship consists of both a full scholarship and a partial scholarship. The full scholarship provides tuition waiver, monthly stipend, basic accommodation and medical insurance; while the partial scholarship covers some items of the Full. Since 2016, the Scholarship has been majorly sponsoring Master students and Master-PhD students.
Scholarship Coverage and Duration
Tuition fee exemption by UCAS;
Doctoral students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 40,000/year.
Master students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 30,000/year.
Senior visiting students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 3,000/month.
Regular visiting student would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 2,600/month.
UCAS provides a monthly stipend of RMB 2,500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and RMB 2,000 for Master students and regular visiting students. In addition, host supervisor and UCAS faculty/CAS institute (hereinafter referred to as faculty/institute) provide research assistantship for awardees considering their academic performances. The total amounts of monthly stipend will be no less than RMB 3500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and RMB 3000 for Master students and regular visiting students.
UCAS provides basic accommodation to awardees from faculties/institutes located in Beijing. As for awardees from CAS institutes located outside Beijing, they would be provided with basic accommodation when attending the concentrated study at UCAS, while their host institutes would help to provide accommodation or solve accommodation-related problems when awardees are with them, and the awardees shall pay for relevant expenses as requested by the institutes.
The insurance premium is RMB 800/year and RMB 400/half year. Please refer to the www.lxbx.net for the introduction of insurance coverage.
Duration （with NO EXTENSION）
Master students: no longer than 36 months
Doctoral students: no longer than 36 months
Students on joint programs: 6-24months
Regular and Senior visiting students: 6-24 months
General conditions for applicants:
- Meet the admission criteria for UCAS international students (please refer to the calls for 2019 Programs for international students);
- Get acceptance by a host supervisor and approval by the UCAS faculty/CAS institute that the supervisor is affiliated with;
- Have an appropriate attitude toward learning and scientific research and have outstanding academic performance;
- Have not accepted any other sponsorship at the time of application;
- Age requirements:
Master’s degree candidates: Be maximum age of 30 years on 31 December 2019.
Doctoral degree candidates: Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2019
Students on joint programs: No age limit.
Regular visiting students: Be maximum age of 40 years on 31 December 2019.
Senior visiting students: Be maximum age of 45 years on 31 December 2019.
- Be proficient in English or Chinese. Applicants whose native language is not English should provide unexpired TOEFL or IELTS scores. TOEFL scores should be 90 or higher, and IELTS scores should be 6.5 or higher. Applicants are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score only if their:
Native language is English, or
Major undergraduate courses are conducted in English/Chinese, which should be stated in transcripts, or
New HSK Band 5 passed with over 200 scores.
- Other requirements on applicants on joint programs:
Applicants should be currently studying at higher institutions abroad.
The higher institution abroad the applicant is affiliated with should have signed relevant collaboration and exchange agreement with CAS/UCAS/CAS institute.
Awarded student should register before November of 2019.
The academic visit to or joint culture at CAS should last for no shorter than 6 months.
- Other requirements for visiting students:
Scholars should register before November of 2019.
Scholars shall be further educated for no shorter than 6 months.
Note：Students who are currently studying at higher institutions in China cannot apply (with exception for this year’s graduates).
1. CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
You should carefully read this call and verify that you are eligible and meet ALL the eligibility criteria specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section.
2. FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH UCAS FACULTY OR CAS INSTITUTE THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU.
See here for a list of eligible supervisors affiliated with UCAS faculties/CAS institutes. Once you find an eligible professor of your interest, you must contact him/her, send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and any other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for UCAS Scholarship for International Students.
3. SUBMIT BOTH OF YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION AND SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE SYSTEM.
You shall log in the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS which would be launched around December 1st, 2018, correctly fill in your personal information, upload authentic documents required for admission and submit your applications for both admission and scholarship.
4. REMIND YOUR SUPERVISOR TO COMPLETE THE SUPERVISOR’S COMMENT PAGE OF BOTH ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (Attachment 1) and APPLICATION FORM FOR UCAS SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (Attachment 2) AND SEND IT TO THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OFFICE OF UCAS BY THE UCAS FACULTY/CAS INSTITUTE WHICH HE/SHE IS AFFILIATED WITH BEFORE DEADLINE.
The two forms will be automatically sent to your supervisor after your applications pass the preliminary review.
a. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and their notarial translations are required to submit together to the application system. Please use a scanner to prepare all the required documents in colour. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Copies are also not acceptable.
b. The university has the right to request applicants to provide the original or notarial hardcopies of their application documents for further qualification checks if the uploaded documents are insufficient. Applicants shall guarantee all the information and application documents submitted in this application are authentic and accurate, otherwise they will be disqualified from admission.
c. Application with incomplete documents, lack of some required documents or wrong personal information will not be processed.
d. The applicant cannot apply to more than one institute/school and supervisor.
e. Please choose major, host supervisor and host institute cautiously before submission. After enrolment at UCAS, applications for the change of these items are seldom considered.
f. Please DO NOT send any hardcopy of application materials directly to the International Students Office of UCAS. None of the application documents will be returned.
g. Applicants of this scholarship are exempt from application processing fee.
h. Please prepare your application carefully. After submission, none will be returned to you for modifications.
March 31, 2019
Notification of Decision and Visa Application
The admission decisions will be made normally in May to June. The offers of admissions, award letters and other documents will be conveyed afterwards.
Awardees shall take the following documents to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa):
Personal passports as used for application
Visa Application Form (JW202)
Physical Examination Record for Foreigners
Other original reports from the physical examination
Please keep safe of the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202). They are essential in the application for the Permanent Residence Permit upon registration. Please do not apply for visa waiver or other types of visa.
- Awardees must register at the time and place indicated in the Admission Notice. Otherwise, they should apply for extension of their registration.
- Awardees must show the original copies of Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript to International Students Office.
- The duration of the scholarship stated explicitly in the Admission Notice.
- The scholarship can be retained for no longer than 2 months since the deadline of the registration.
- Awardees receive monthly stipend from UCAS since the registration day. Those who register before the 15th) receive a full-month stipend, while those register after the 15th
- Registered awardees must abide by relevant rules and regulations of the universities, and attend reviews and examinations, such as the qualifying tests on time. Awardees who fail review or examination will be deprived of their scholarship or their scholarship will be suspended.
- Any work produced and published by the awardees during the funding period of the scholarship must be credited to the institute/school and the university where the awardees are enrolled. Awardees are also required to acknowledge “Sponsored by UCAS Scholarship for International Students in written dedication.